About Lake Murray
Lake Murray S.C. is one of the most unique man made lakes in all of the United States. It is named after the project engineer that helped in the creation, William S. Murray.
Lake Murray was created in the 1920's to provide hydro-electric power to the state of South Carolina. It is over 50,000 acres in size, and has a shoreline of over 500 miles. Lake Murray's main source of inflow is from the Saluda River that originates near the North Carolina-South Carolina line in the upstate.
The Lake Murray Dam was an engineering feat in itself. The dam was created using native red clay and bedrock from the area. At 1.5 miles in length it was the worlds largest earthen dam at the time of its creation in the 1930's.
From large palacial mansions to small fishing cottages today, Lake Murray SC. offers any type of home that one could want to live. Lake Murray also offers many types of recreation to enjoy. Motor boating, fishing, skiing, sailing, jet skiing, and much more. Lake Murray was and is one of the most focal points of the area, and a great place to live, work and play in the South Carolina Midlands.
Lake Murray Facts:
• 5,000 people were relocated for the construction of the lake
• 3 churches, six schools and 193 graveyards were moved
• 100,000,000 board feet of lumber were obtained from land clearing the area
• The Lake Murray Dam was the largest earthen dam in the world at the time of construction.
• 763 billion gallons of water are stored in the lake
• Improvements for the dam which were just completed widened it to accomodate a 4 lane roadway. Previously, SC Hwy. 6 was just 2 lanes.
• A new backup dam has been completed and now features a walking and bike lane across the dam .
Lake Murray Neighborhoods
- Bush River Plantation
- Clearwater and Shelter Cove
- Counts Ferry
- Crystal Pines
- Dutchman Shores
- Garrison Point
- Green Meadow Pointe
- Harbour Watch -Gated Community in Leesville SC, tennis courts, marina, clubhouse.
- Hallmark Shores
- Hammock Bay -Condo Community in Lexington SC, Gated access,Tennis, clubhouse, Boat Storage, Volleyball, boat docks.
- Harbor View Estates
- Harbour Place
- Holly Harbor
- Horse Cove
- Indian Fork
- Jasmine Bay
- Kingston Harbour New Home Community Close-in off of Catawba Trail in Lexington Sc
- Lake Murray Estates
- Lakeside At Ballentine
- Marina Cove - Lake Access community boat ramp, dock, community pool, gazebo by the Lake, Log and Cypress construction.
- Milmont Shores
- Murray Park Estates
- Newberry Shores
- Night Harbor
- Osprey Point
- Pilgrim Point - Gated Private Lexington SC Close in comunity, Courtyard Homes, Lake Access, boat storage, common areas, New Homes for sale on Lake Murray. Another Pilgrim Point Home for sale
- Plantation Hills
- Porth Circle
- Power Point - Exclusive street very "close in" to Lexington SC town on Lake Murray
- Rural Lake Murray
- Secret Cove
- Shull Island Road
- Spence Plantation
- The Landings
- The Palms at Rocky Point -Courtyard Homes on Lake Murray and Lake Access in Irmo SC.
- Timberlake Plantation
- Turners Pointe - 2007 Parade of Homes Community, Estate and Courtyard Homes Full amenities. Pool, Lake access, tennis courts, clubhouse, putting green.
- Village at Hilton
- Wexford on the Lake
- Whitewater Bay
- Yacht Cove
Lake Murray Real Estate Home
View Larger Map